Child-to-Adult Safety Harness for larger toddlers or someone with Special Needs such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD and Down Syndrome
Child-to-Adult Safety Harness, $69.99 if chest is under 26 inches (66cm), $89.99 for chests 26 inches (66cm) or greater
The Child-to-Adult Safety Harness is a harness for anyone of any size or age. It can fit toddlers, older children, teens or adults; anyone in the "child to adult" age/size range. The design is extremely secure yet comfortable enough to wear all day without hindering your child. Top quality construction ensures this harness can take years of tugging and pulling from your child as they learn to walk by your side.
Child-to-Adult Safety Harness
You can watch a demo video of me fitting a Child-to-Adult Harness on my 6 year old.
The Child-to-Adult Safety Harness is the harness of choice for taller or larger toddlers who are rather strong for their tender years. It is also the harness of choice for anyone with special needs; those on the Autism spectrum, with ADHD, Down Syndrome or other neuorologic disorders that inhibit their behaviour or judgement regarding safety when out in our communities.
The Child-to-Adult Harness has 2 chest straps that comfortably hug larger bodies to securely hold onto your child. Adjust the shoulder straps and chest straps to fit over winter layers and growing bodies. The detachable lead is 5 feet 8 inches long to allow for plenty of freedom. Order your harness with a Permanent Handle to keep your child at your side in crowded places or for short walks to the car.
Increase the security of the Child-to-Adult Harness by adding any combination of Accessories; Buckle Covers that fit over the regular buckles (or the locking buckles), you can have your harness made with Locking Buckles instead of regular buckles (the locking buckles require 2 hands to open, and for ultimate security cover the locking buckles with buckle covers), order Crotch Straps for wearing with the harness.
Most of our customers wear their Child-to-Adult Harness every day, all day, year after year. Wearing the Child-to-Adult Harness means a degree of freedom for them and their families that did not exist before. Visit our Testimonials page to read what some of our customers have said about their Child-to-Adult Harness.
Child-to-Adult Safety Harness Main Features
You can watch a video of me talking about the main features of your new Child-to-Adult Harness.
The two essential features of the Child-to-Adult Harness are it's quality and it's comfort. A harness is useless if it breaks and it's useless if it's too uncomfortable for your child to wear. Customers whose children have worn their Child-to-Adult Harness every day for years, have told me their harness surpasses both these requirements.
Your Child-to-Adult Safety Harness will have all of the following features:
- top-quality construction you can trust
- custom made to fit anyone; toddlers to 92 yr olds
- 2 chest straps circle the torso
- extremely comfortable to wear all day
- adjust the harness to fit over more layers and growing bodies (see How to Adjust Your Harness)
- reinforced stitching on all seams
- 500 pound weight capacity metal O-ring
- industrial strength snap hook for the 5 feet 8 inch detachable lead that comes with the harness
- lead can be any length you like e.g. 18 inches to 15 feet or longer
- order multiple leads of different lengths
- order a Permanent Handle to hold onto when you need to keep your child right by your side
- order Buckle Covers, Locking Buckles, and/or Crotch Straps to increase security
- order a Hands-free Parent-to-Child Tether so you can to hold onto your child "hands free"
Child-to-Adult Safety Harness costs
Your new Child-to-Adult Safety Harness should last your family for years. Provincial taxes apply to Canadian orders. Shipping is extra, as usual. A nominal handling fee helps recover a portion of the packing supplies.
- $69.99 if the chest measurement is less than 26 inches (66cm)
- $89.99 if the chest measurement is 26 inches (66cm) or greater
Accessories to order with your Child-to-Adult Safety Harness
Your harness can be made with a Permanent Handle. Since we started offering this option, it has by far become the most popular Accessory of choice. Use the handle to keep your child right by your side when walking short distances or in crowded locations.
To increase the security of the harness, you can:
- add Buckle Covers at $3.99 each
- have your harness made with Locking Buckles that need 2 hands to open ($3.99 each) rather than regular buckles
- for ultimate security, order buckles covers to go over your locking buckles
- add Crotch Straps for $9.99 each
To keep your child seated, use the harness with the following Accessories:
Use our Hands-free Parent-to-Child Tether to tether your child safely to you. You can have your hands free and keep them close. The tether is 2 1/2 feet long and perfect for crowded places like malls and theme parks, or dangerous places like parking lots.
Attach one of our Universal Medical Symbol tags, $1.99 each, anywhere on the harness so curious eyes will know that your older child needs to wear their harness to be safe when out in our communities.
Order one of our Sweatshirts to wear over the Child-to-Adult Safety Harness to keep your child warm when going for your evening walks, trips to the park, or for any of your regular outings.
Financial Assistance if the Child-to-Adult Harness is for a person with Special Needs
Many of our customers are on the Autism spectrum, have ADHD, Down Syndrome or other neurologic disorders that inhibit their ability to make good decisions about strangers and safety when out in our communities. For these customers, the Child-to-Adult Harness is a basic and essential piece of Special Needs Equipment that is required to keep them safe in public and educational settings.
The HCPCS billing code for your Child-to-Adult Safety Harness is "E1399, Durable Medical Equipment, Miscellaneous".
- if you are a special ed teacher or case worker needing a harness for a child under your care, further information you may require is on our Schoos & Community Orgs page.
- if you are a Medical Supply Company ordering a harness on behalf of a customer, please see our Medical Supply Companies page.
- if you are a parent on a tight budget shopping for a Child-to-Adult Harness for your child, you may be able to receive funding for your harness through your Medicaid program or your child's case worker.
The Child-to-Adult Safety Harness can be classified as;
- special clothing
- medically necessary for the person's safety in the community
- a necessary assistive device, in school for example
- required for safe travel to and from doctor's appointments
- the HCPCS billing code for your Child-to-Adult Safety Harness is "E1399, Durable Medical Equipment, Miscellaneous"
Contact your local community resources and/or your family doctor to find out if you are eligible to receive financial assistance with your purchase.
Description and Features of the Child-to-Adult Safety Harness
Your Child-to-Adult Harness is a modification of our Child Harness. The design was first suggested by one of our customers who asked us to make it for his 9 year old son with ADHD who needed more security than our Child Harness offered.
The Child-to-Adult Harness has the following features:
- the top chest strap circles the person under their arms
- the bottom chest strap circles the person approximately 3 to 3.5 inches (7.7 to 9cm) below the top chest strap, depending on their shoulder-to-waist measurement
- together, the 2 chest straps give the harness a very secure and very comfortable hold around the person's torso
- the harness is put on and removed in the same manner as our Child Harness; over the head, chest straps under the arms, buckle up at the back (see How to use the harness)
- the 2 buckles at the back of the harness can be covered so if the buckle is squeezed, it does not slide open
- if more security is needed, the regular buckles can be replaced with Locking Buckles. The locking buckles need 2 hands to open; the buckle must be squeezed and the small tab pressed in order to release the clasp.
- for ultimate security you can order buckle covers to fit over the locking buckles
- the shoulder straps are stitched to the chest straps at the front of the harness. The spacing of the shoulder straps is determined by the person's chest measurement.
- the shoulder straps pass through metal rectangle rings at the back of the harness. This allows the shoulder straps to be adjusted.
- the top and bottom support loops and the lead are attached to a metal O-ring at the back of the harness. The O-ring has a smooth, welded seal. The quality of the weld determines the strength of the ring and these rings are rated at 500lb weight capacity.
- a long 5 foot 8 inch detachable lead allows the person a sense of freedom. You can order additional leads of different lengths. Some customers order a 15 or 20 foot lead for use at the park or beach for example.
- the detachable lead allows the child to wear the body part of the harness at all times. When it's time to leave the car, leave the house, change classrooms, etc., it's fast and simple to attach the lead to the metal O-ring at the back of the harness.
- a Permanent Handle ($7.99) can be sewn to the back O-ring if you wish. This handle is most often ordered by parents who at times need to keep their child right by their side, or by special ed teachers who escort the child to different classrooms during the day.
- re-inforced zig-zag stitching on all seams to ensure strength and durability
- your harness comes with a mesh storage/laundry/stuff sack for easy storage and to keep the harness contained while in the washing machine
- available in black, navy blue, pacific blue, red, and purple
To Order a Child-to-Adult Safety Harness
Your Child-to-Adult Harness is made to fit the person who will be wearing it. There is some basic information regarding their measurements that we need to ensure the harness fits perfectly now and for years to come. All these questions are on our order form. You will need the person's
- chest measurement when dressed in a light t-shirt
- shoulder to waist measurement
- and if the person is a woman, her chest measurement above her breasts, chest measurement below her breasts and her current bra size