Child/Toddler Safety Harness
Child/Toddler Safety Harness, $39.99
If you are looking for a top quality Child Harness with the durability to withstand more than one tantrum then look no further. Our Child Harness is simple to use and comfortable to wear with a long lead to allow for plenty of exploring. No bulky animal backpacks means this harness is easy to tote along and use whenever your toddler wants to walk instead of ride.
Child/Toddler Safety Harness
This Child Harness is the harness of choice for very small children. You will get years of use from this Child Harness if you are buying it for a baby or small toddler. Adjust the length of the chest strap and shoulder straps to fit over winter layers and growing bodies. The detachable lead makes the Child Harness conveniently versatile; put the harness on your toddler under their coat so when you arrive at the mall and remove their jacket, just clip on the lead and go.
Key Features of Your New Child Safety Harness
Visit our YouTube channel to watch a short video where I show you the Child Harness and demonstrate how to use it with your child.
The Child Harness is small, functional, effective and very comfortable for your child to wear. Each Child Harness has the following features:
- quality construction you can trust
- easy to use
- buckles at the back, not across the stomach
- comfortable to wear
- no bulky animal at the back of the child's head and neck
- cool to wear, not hot like the animal backpack harnesses
- adjustable to fit over layers and as your child grows (see How to Adjust Your Harness)
- reinforced stitching on all seams
- long 5 foot 8 inch detachable lead
- lead can be any length you like i.e. 7 feet, 15 feet or longer
- order multiple leads of different lengths i.e. for the mall, for the beach
- black, navy blue, pacific blue, red, and purple
- comes with a matching stuff sack for easy storage
- wash the harness in the stuff sack to keep it contained in the washing machine
The Design of Your New Child Safety Harness
This Child Harness is Elaine's design; it is her invention. No other Child Harness on the market is similar to this one and there are 3 key factors that set it apart from the others:
1. Physics. The lead attaches to the Child Harness ABOVE the child's centre of gravity. All other harnesses on the market have the lead attached below the child's centre of gravity (usually to a waist strap), increasing the likelihood of them landing face first when they pull on the lead.
2. Physiology. The chest strap circles the child's rib cage (the strongest part of their body) and not the soft organs of their stomach. All other harnesses on the market position the "chest" strap around the child's waist.
3. Child Development. A long 5 feet 8 inch lead that allows freedom and exploration of interesting objects on the ground; something that is not possible with the 2 1/2 foot lead length that is typical of every other harness on the market.
The Child Harness has the following additional features that were critical to me as a mother who would be using the harness for years with my own boys:
- unique O-ring design at child's back between their shoulder blades
- lead attaches to the O-ring which is located above the child's centre of gravity
- all other harnesses on the market attach the lead to the waist strap which is below the child's centre of gravity
- longest lead on the market. Leads on all other harnesses are 2 1/2 to 3 feet long which is the same as holding hands as one mom put it.
- chest strap circles the rib cage i.e. the strongest part of their torso
- other harnesses on the market use a waist strap which circles the soft organs
Child Safety Harness Cost
The Child Harness ($39.99) comes with a detachable lead. Provincial sales tax applies to Canadian orders. Shipping is extra, as usual, and a very small handling fee covers a portion of our packing costs.
- $39.99 for a Child Harness
- additional charge if spare leads or longer lead(s) are ordered
- additional charge if Accessories are ordered
Detailed Description of Your New Child Safety Harness
The Child Harness is a small harness that is functional and effective. Place the Child Harness over your toddler's head, do the buckle up at their back and off you go. It's simple, easy to use and STRONG. Your Child Harness is:
- easy to put on and remove (see How to put on the harness)
- the buckle that secures the harness on the child is located at the child’s back
- the chest strap is expandable to approximately 28" so you will get years of use from your Child Harness. It can be used with new walkers (age 10 months or so) right through the toddler and pre-school stages. The expansion allows for fitting over sweaters and winter coats as the seasons change and the child grows.
- a long 5’ 8” lead allows the child a sense of freedom. However, the lead can easily be shortened to keep the child close to the adult, e.g. on a busy street or in a mall.
- the detachable lead clips onto a metal O-ring at the back of the harness. The metal O-ring and metal snap hook may seem "excessive" on a Child Harness but we will never use a plastic snap hook on a plastic ring, especially after the stories I've heard from some of our customers about the animal backpack harnesses breaking at these points.
- a strip of velcro at the adult's end of the lead allows it to be easily rolled and secured closed for storage
- large hand loop for the adult fits over mittens and/or a man’s hand
- reinforced zig-zag stitching on all seams
- two strap adjusters on each shoulder strap prevent slippage during a tugging match or tantrum
- the shoulder straps, support straps and lead all loop through a central O-ring at the child’s back. Any force exerted by the child is sustained by the ring rather than the buckle that secures the chest strap.
- each Child Harness comes with a matching stuff sack that can be used to store the harness when not in use and to keep the harness contained while in the washing machine
- all our harnesses are made of 100% polypropolene strap material which is easy to fold or bundle
- our Child Harnesses are available in black, navy blue, pacific blue, red, and purple
Thinking of ordering a Child Harness?
A $10 harness from a local box store or e-Bay may be perfect for your child, it may not. So why spend $39.99 + shipping & handling ordering a Child Harness here? Who can afford to spend more money than they have to?
I'm a big believer in comparison shopping, doing my research and trying to get it right the first time.
Unfortunately I couldn't use that strategy when I first wanted a toddler harness because there was no selection - I had to choose between a harness I didn't like or nothing at all. I chose The One I Didn't Like, it broke, and the rest is history (as they say).
Obviously we would love it if you ordered from us but ultimately it's more important that you try to make the right choice the first time and not waste money on the wrong product like I did and many of our customers have done.
Would the Child-to-Adult Harness be better for your toddler?
If your toddler has a chest measurement of 21 inches (53cm) or more and a shoulder-to-waist measurement of 11 inches (28cm) or more, our Child-to-Adult Harness will likely be a better fit for them.
This is how a red Child-to-Adult Harness looks on a normal 2 1/2 yr old with a chest measurement of 21.5 inches (54cm) and a shoulder-to-waist measurement of 11 inches. This is how the Child-to-Adult Harness looks on him from the back.
A Note about children with Special Needs
If you have a very young child with a diagnosis such as Autism, Down Syndrome, or another neurologic disorder, our Child Harness will be fine for them if their chest measurement (around the torso under their armpits) is 19 inches (48 cm) or less. The Child Harness will provide all the security you need while your child is still small.
If your special needs child has a chest measurement of 20 inches (51 cm) or more regardless of their age, please consider our Child-to-Adult Harness instead. The Child-to-Adult Harness is much more appropriate for children with special needs, especially as your child grows.
Be sure to ask if you have any questions. It's important that you get the right harness to suit your needs for as long as your child needs to wear it.